1/35th Tamiya Panzer II WIP

My modelling and gaming has taken a nosedive in the last week or so as I realised I have less than six weeks to write 12,000 words of sense about gas warfare, but even so I have managed to sneak in the occasional hour of dabbing some paint about. 

This Panzer II was bought for me at Christmas by a friend and I am trying to make a dent in my to build pile, so this was top of the list. It's an ancient Tamiya DAK Panzer II. It comes with four infantry figures and a tank commander, who I won't be using as I want the tank to be buttoned up. The kit was simple enough to go together, only taking a couple of hours one evening, although it did remind me that there are much better kit manufacturers out there than Tamiya...


Then the painting began, slowly. I gave it a base coat of Vallejo German Grey to serve as an undercoat. I wanted it to have damaged areas that would show this paint underneath where scratches and bumps would occur, so I took this opportunity as my first attempt at using Humbrol's Maskol.

With the Maskol applied to the areas I wanted to be chipped and it was painted in Desert Yellow. This was then inkwashed with Chocolate Brown and dry brushed with Dark Sand. I've never painted a DAK vehicle before, either, so I was kind of thinking on my feet with the colour scheme.


Then the Maskol is simply rubbed off to create a chipped effect.You can see it in this photo and the one above on the bend of the bottom of the hull and around the housing for the driving cog.


I didn't go wild with the chips as this was my first attempt, but I'm happy with the result I got.


I'm happier with the turret and the areas of wear and tear showing through.



I have yet to start the top half of the hull and the wheels, they are both pretty big jobs, so it may wait for a while...

In keeping with a desert theme, I bought twenty of these palm trees off Ebay (they are actually for my forthcoming Malaysia campaign). They look a bit basic and ugly now, but I will paint them up and see how they turn out. It should be an easy task to turn them into something usable.


That's all for now, but thanks for looking!

Comments